The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and all contributions are tax deductible. Funds provided by the Foundation enable the Library to offer programs, services, events, and other projects that otherwise could not be offered.
Board of Directors: The Board is comprised of community leaders with a variety of backgrounds including: banking, investments, accounting, social services, corporate real estate, small business, education, and law.
Investments: The Foundation Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing the preservation and allocation of all funds received. The Board is advised on investments by the Foundation's financial advisor, James O'Hearn of Enterprise Bank, with whom they meet regularly to review the investment portfolio.
The Library: The high Victorian building still located on the common next to the Unitarian Church, built specifically as a library in 1880, was a gift of Eleanor Bennett and her daughters. When Town Meeting refused the gift, Mrs. Bennett and other citizens formed a private corporation and elected officers "to secure to the citizens of Billerica.... the establishment of a public library." Mrs.Bennett's vision served the Town well for 100 years.
A Library building committee battled for 10 years through the 1970's to secure the funding for a much needed larger library facility. In 1980, the new 12,000 square foot building, now home to the Billerica Council on Aging, opened just 100 yards from the old site. Under a new Town charter, it became the Billerica Public Library but still was not big enough to keep up with a fast growing community. May 2000 saw the opening of the current Billerica Public Library. This wonderful 40,000 sq. foot building was constructed at the site of the former Town Hall built in 1895. Renovating and utilizing the Old Town Hall together with construction of a large addition to the rear has preserved this historic landmark as well as secured the future of library service in the community.
Billerica Public Library 15 Concord Road, Billerica MA 01821 978-671-0948