Enjoy high-speed Internet access anytime, anywhere–free!
What is a HotSpot?
The HotSpot is an easy -to-use mobile device that offers Internet access over a wireless local area network (WLAN). HotSpots typically use Wi-Fi technology. Stay connected whenever you are on the go with the BPL Hotspot. You can connect up to 10 Wi-Fi enabled devices to a BPL HotSpot and get high-speed Internet virtually anywhere.
What do I need to know?
- How do I check out the device? Stop by the circulation desk and use your library card to check out the device like any other item. *New* Also stop by the reference desk to book a hotspot by specific date. See below for more info.
- Who can check out this device? Anyone who has a valid BPL card in good standing can borrow this device.
- How long can I keep it? You can borrow it for one week with no renewals. Overdue HotSpots will have their Internet access deactivated within 72 hours beyond their due date.
- What is the fine for late returns? The overdue fine is $5 a day until returned.
- How do I return it? Will there be a fee for returning in the bookdrop or to another library? You must return the device with all the original packaging and accessories at the circulation desk. Please fully charge the battery before you return the device. A fee may be applied if it is returned in a bookdrop or to another library.
- How much does it cost to borrow a HotSpot? Borrowing and using the device is free! The patron is responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the Mobile HotSpot and/or peripherals. A fee of $123 will be charged to their library account. The Mobile HotSpot must be kept in a temperature controlled environment (e.g don’t leave unattended in a hot vehicle).
NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS: Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the BPL Wireless HotSpot. Parents/Guardians are responsible for monitoring what their children access via the BPL Wireless HotSpot.
Book HotSpot by Date
One hotspot is currently available through the reference desk that can be booked up to 6 months in advanced.
- The reference hotspot can be booked for up to 10 days.
- Only 2 active bookings per patron at a time
- The reference hotspot must be picked up and returned to the reference desk.
- All other hotspot policies apply.
- A copy of our policy is required to be read and signed prior to checkout.
How do I use the BPL HotSpot to access free Wi-Fi?
NOTE: The Wireless Network Name (SSID) & Password can be found on the red sticker on the back of the HotSpot!
To connect your device to the Mobile HotSpot’s Wi-Fi network, follow these steps:
- Turn on the Mobile HotSpot.
- On your computer or other Wi-Fi enabled device, search for available Wi-Fi Networks and select the Network Name (SSID) of your Mobile HotSpot.
- Enter the Network Password.
- Note: It may take up to a minute to establish a connection.