(Note: Exceptions to policies may be made with a manager’s approval.)
Obtaining a Library Card
- Identification – Applicant must have a picture ID, preferably a driver’s license. If ID address is not correct, then a bill or piece of mail with new address must be shown. Billerica students may show student ID without proof of residency. If patron cannot show proper ID, a temporary card (valid for 30 days) may be issued for immediate, local use checkout.
- Eligibility – A library card is available to all Billerica residents and property owners, as well as those employed in town. (If they are not part of the MVLC consortium already).
- Children five years and older may obtain a card with a parent’s or guardian’s signature.
- Caregivers who get a card in a child’s name assume the responsibility for all items checked out on that card.
- Teens 14 and over with a photo ID can obtain their own card.
- Remote Library Cards – Remote library cards are available by using our online registration form for those 14 and over. Cards will be mailed to the patron’s home. Cards may be active for 30 days and may be used for checking out local items only. Patrons may come in anytime during this time period to provide proof of residency.
- Issuing cards to out of state residents – Out-of-state residents may obtain a Billerica Library card at no charge. The card will give them access to the Billerica Public Library only. This also applies to patrons who work in the town of Billerica but live out of state.
- Issuing cards to out of network residents – Residents living outside the MVLC region may have their cards linked to the Billerica Public Library thus providing full access to MVLC. If they do not have a card from their home library, a local use only temporary card (valid for 30 days) may be given to them for immediate, local use checkout. (This also applies to those who work in the town of Billerica but live outside the MVLC network). Temporary cards may not be renewed.
- Patrons residing in towns within the MVLC consortium must obtain library cards from their home library; however, temporary cards (valid for 30 days) may be issued for immediate, local use checkout. (This also applies to those who work in the town of Billerica but live within the MVLC consortium).
Anyone receiving a temporary card will be allowed local access only to the Billerica Public Library. Temporary cards may not be renewed.
- Replacing a library card – A picture ID must be presented to replace a lost or stolen card.
- If a card is reported stolen and there are items still checked out to, or holds for, the patron, a block will be placed on the record to prevent further check outs/holds. If there is no current activity on the record, the record will be deleted.
- There is no charge for replacement of cards.
Items may be renewed twice provided there are no holds on the item.
Items can be renewed via: Phone, Email, In-person, and Automatic Renewals
- Phone/In-person – Patron needs to provide library card number, item barcode or photo ID. Patron must confirm name, address, phone number, and e-mail address on file if library card or item barcode is not available.
- Online – Patrons may also renew items online by accessing their account using their library card # and pin # (initially set as last four digits of library card number).
- Automatic Renewals – Items due in 3 days will automatically be renewed unless there is a hold on the item or the maximum number of renewals have been reached. Patrons will receive an email indicating if their items were renewed and/or what items could not be renewed.
- Lost Items must be paid in full prior to future checkouts. (Payment plans may be arranged at the discretion of the Circulation Manager).
- The Billerica Public Library accepts cash or check payments for lost items. Credit card payments can be made online through the patron’s account. Fees owed must be $5 or more to pay online.
- Refunds – Lost items found within one month of payment will be refunded, with receipt of payment, providing the item has not been replaced. Refunds are not available if payment is made online.
- Payment for a lost item owned by a MVLC library can be accepted at any network library. If patron is paying with check, call owning library to see how they want the check made out. Check with the owning library before accepting replacement items for their policy/restrictions.
- A onetime courtesy checkout may be given to patrons who have lost Billerica items ONLY.
- The Billerica Public Library no longer accepts replacements for lost items.
- Item requests– Items may be placed on hold by phone, online (through the patron’s account) and in-person while visiting the library. See our Confidentiality Policy for further details.
- Notification – Patrons will receive an email or call when their materials have arrived.
- Suspending/activating holds – Patrons may suspend and activate holds by phone, online (through the patron’s account) and in person while visiting the library. See our Confidentiality Policy for further details.
- Expiration – Materials on the hold shelf expire 7 days after initial check-in.
- Who can pick up holds – Our Confidentiality Policy protects patrons’ privacy by limiting who can pick up holds. Please see that policy for full details.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)- Patrons are eligible to place interlibrary loans outside the library consortium. Please see our Interlibrary Loan Policy for full details.
- Loan periods for items will be set by the Library Director and will be posted on the library’s website.
Revised and adopted by vote of the Board of Library Trustees February 2022