The Billerica Public Library provides interlibrary loan service in order to increase the resources available to its users, and provide expanded opportunities for lifelong learning and
Interlibrary loan is the process by which the Billerica Public Library requests material from or supplies material to another library through the Massachusetts Library System or point to point requests. Interlibrary loan transactions as defined by this Policy do not include materials shared using the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) or the Massachusetts Commonwealth Catalog automated resource sharing systems.
Borrowing Materials from Other Libraries
- Interlibrary loan service is offered to all registered Billerica Public Library patrons in good standing and anyone in the MA library system from a community with a certified library.
- Library users may submit Interlibrary Loan requests in person at the Billerica Public Library, via online forms on the library’s website, or by contacting the Interlibrary Loan Librarian at [email protected].
- The Library reserves the right to limit the number of items requested or borrowed by a single user at one time. We ask that patrons not make more than 5 requests at one time to allow equitable use of this service.
- All materials must be picked up and returned to the Billerica Public Library.
- When a requested item is available for pickup, borrowers will be notified by e-mail or phone.
- The loan period for interlibrary loan materials is dependent on the lending policy of the loaning library. Materials must be returned by the due date. Overdue materials may also be subject to replacement fees imposed by the lending library.
- Renewals are provided at the owning library’s discretion and cannot be guaranteed. Requests for renewal should be made 7 days before the due date to allow for the lending library to be contacted.
- Interlibrary loan service may be limited or suspended for borrowers who repeatedly fail to pick up requested interlibrary loan materials, keep materials overdue, or damage or deface materials.
- The Billerica Public Library will only borrow from libraries that do not charge a fee.
- Borrowers are responsible for any charges levied by a lending library for materials lost or damaged while checked out to the borrower. No refunds will be made for lost and paid interlibrary loan materials that are subsequently found.
- As with other library users’ records, the confidentiality of Interlibrary Loan records is protected by Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 78, Section 7. The Library will not
disclose such records except for the purposes of interlibrary cooperation and coordination, or upon request or consent of the user. See our Confidentiality Policy for further details.
Lending Materials to Other Libraries
- The Billerica Public Library lends to other libraries from its own collection and accepts requests via mail, e-mail or fax from other libraries.
- Returnable materials will be shipped via the Massachusetts statewide delivery system whenever possible, or via USPS Library Mail.
- The loan period for returnable Interlibrary Loan materials is 60 days. Renewals may be provided at the Billerica Public Library’s discretion.
- Charges for lost or damaged materials will be based on the original cost of the lost or damaged item.
- Interlibrary loan service may be limited or suspended for borrowing libraries that repeatedly keep materials overdue or fail to properly package returning items, or that lose, damage or deface materials.
Adopted by vote of the Library Board of Trustees February 2022