The Billerica Public library is a resource for local information and community activities and events. As a resource, the library provides space for nonlibrary materials of general interest from other organizations that are non-profit in nature.
Community bulletin board may be used for the following types of information:
- Postings of future educational, social, civic, cultural or recreational activities.
- Postings by nonprofit organizations, groups, agencies or by any federal, state or local government agency providing services.
- Nonpartisan election information, such as provided by the League of Women Voters or by the Secretary of State
- Information the library is required to post in accordance with the Town Charter and/or By-Laws
Community bulletin board may not be used for the following types of information:
- Materials that support or oppose any political candidate, political party or ballot measure
- Materials that support or oppose a specific religious conviction
- Commercial notices, solicitations, business cards, job postings and retail advertising
- Personal notices of items of sale
- Personal solicitations for fundraisers
- All postings must be approved by the Circulation Supervisor. Any questionable posting will be brought to the attention of the Library Director who will make the final determination of appropriateness within the policy.
- Postings may be displayed for up to three weeks prior to an event and will be removed immediately following the event. Due to space restraints, it is at the discretion of the Library Director to determine how long a posting for a series of events will remain.
- Postings must state the specific date of an event and contact person.
- Postings of any one event will be limited to one (1).
- Postings larger than 8.5×11 will not be accepted.
- Inquiries regarding events and activities described on postings must be directed to the sponsors of the event, program, etc. and not to the library staff.
- Priority will be given to community-sponsored postings.
“Give Away” Materials
The Library accepts flyers, newspapers, college and university class offerings and schedules, etc. for the community table located underneath the bulletin board. These materials must meet all bulletin board requirements with the exception of document size. Since space is limited, priority will be given to materials from local organizations. These materials should be referred to the Circulation Supervisor for distribution.
*Adapted from Wilmington Memorial Library’s policy.
Adopted by a vote of the Board of Library Trustees on June 4, 2018, as amended on March 1, 2021